Derek Mathias Schell

Derek was one of my very best friends throughout high school. Sophomore year we were inseperable. And that was perfect because sophomore year was a HORRIBLE one for me.
I'm not really sure what my deal was but I'm pretty sure I was depressed. One of my friends was taking some sort of health class and they got handouts with "symptoms of depression" and I had like 75% of them, for no reason at all haha. But Derek got me through that. He was always there to cheer me up, to go on walks with me, to make the most random and hilarious comments that would make me laugh.
One day he found out I'd done something really stupid and I will never forget the look on his face--a mixture of anger, disappointment, care, and concern. All he said was, "Lisa, why didn't you call me?" And I knew that he meant it. Things were different after that and Derek really helped me to get out of that rut and be happy. He is definitely one of the best friends I have ever had.
And I got to go to dinner with him over Christmas break! It was so good to see him for the first time in probably a year or two. He's a great kid.
Travis Daniel Birch

Travie, where do I start. So any of you who read my blog last year probably know about Zach. If not, long story short: crazy boy that I dated last summer, anger problems, illogical thinking, recovering from extremely rough past, etc. etc. Well. Travis basically saved me. That sounds silly or exaggerated but I am completely serious. Everyone told me I needed to break up with Zach, that he was dragging me down, that he wasn't having a good effect on me.
One day when I was home over the summer, I was with Travis about 3 weeks before I came back up to school. We were just driving around and I mentioned something Zach had done to upset me. And Travis went off on me. Like yelling and talking forcibly, hand-waving included. He went on for about 45 minutes that I wasn't doing what I know I should, that Zach was having a horrible effect on me, that he could tell I was different and my whole spirit had changed. And then he told me that it had gotten to the point where literally every minute before I went back to BYU counted, that I had to break up with Zach and get over him before I came back up.
Well, that did it and I finally broke up with Zach. I was so much happier. Travis really helped me have the courage to do one of the most difficult things. He is such an amazing friend. And he's coming up to visit me (with Jorge, Celesta, and Brianna) on Thursday!! So excited.



1 comment:
Travis Birch is one of my favorite people too. He is such an amazing friend to so many people and probably doesn't even know the impact he has on our lives. Also, I'm jealous that they are visiting you. Darn school. BUT I'm super excited to see you at Travie's farewell!!!! LOVE YOU FLISA!!!
~Frhonda~
Post a Comment